1940s Engineering

WWII SUMMER FLIGHT SUIT

During the second World War, the United States commissioned two variations of this suit; one being made of twill as seen here and the other being blended of cotton and wool fibers. The course of its span in action ranges on from April of 1943, when it replaced the previously worn Type A-4 Flight Suit. This improvement was made for a more standardized suit, with implementations into the U.S. Air Force and Navy even well after the war.

For the age of this garment, it’s still very wearable today as the cotton fibers still hold their flexibility and toughness.
Recommended size: Medium | Price: $325
+ See details

Sunkissed Sweats

Phi Sigma Epsilon

The Phi Sigma Epsilon fraternity was in steamrolling operations for over seventy five years— when it was eventually merged with Phi Sigma Kappa in the summer of 1985. While it’s house symbol and crest may have been changed with the merger, Phi Sig history can continue to live on through the original fraternity’s triangle symbol and crest shown above.

This particular short sleeved sweatshirt features a beautiful natural fade throughout its entirety, with lightened sun kissed shoulders and detailed distressing that courses down to the elastic waistband.

1800s Sewing

Freedom Quilt

Reflecting the enduring emotion of many Americans during the mid to late 19th century, this unique handmade quilt features a diamond style patchwork layout composed of red, white, and blue cotton fabric squares. While time has run its fair share of miles around this particular quilt, the details and final condition it was discovered in make it truly a remarkable piece of Americana.

Check out some of our recent posts on Instagram and Facebook for a closer look and how this antique quilt will be repurposed throughout it's time here at ThreadCount - @threadcountvintageco

Pin-back Buttons

HAVE A NICE DAY

The bumper sticker for your clothes— see these 1970s pin-back buttons with the phrases, 'HAVE A NICE DAY' and 'Have A HAPPY DAY', printed across them. Used as casual conversation starters, the walk-by laugh, or even statements of political ties, the popularity of pins throughout the 1950s to 1990s was immense. The vast ways in which individuals expressed their ideologies sometimes resided in a one-by-one inch steel pin.

These particular pins are not for sale, but we hope to bring a new selection of vintage accessories to our shop— including pins, jewelry, and other outfit building curios.

Chanute A.F.B.

U.S. Air Force

Chanute Air Force Base was established by the U.S. government in the early summer of 1917. Leasing roughly 650 acres of land in agricultural Illinois to begin training operations for young WWI pilots. During the 1940s, Chanute Air Force Base would become one of our country’s leading state-of-the-art military facilities, strengthening thousands of ground troops and boosting air defense training techniques for the second world war.

Eventually, the base would see its final days in 1993 when it’s glory would be striped— and the site be deemed a hazard to the surrounding environment from decades of experimental testing and equipment waste.

1960s Sportswear

Harvard Veritas

The Harvard Veritas Shield is widely known today for its function as a common element of the university, sketched of three books containing the word ‘veritas’, meaning verity and truth. Lost for close to 200 years, it wasn’t until 1843 the shielded sketch was discovered buried in Harvard’s college archives to be displayed to the public.

This sweat by Champion Knitwear came in poor condition with heavily wash faded cotton and large tears throughout, but each's placement definingly tell a story of a previous loved life.
Recommended size: Medium | Price: $195
+ See details

1950s Spiritwear

Tilden Technical High

Originating as Lake High School in Chicago’s Cook County in the late 1880s, Tilden Technical High was annexed to the city and became apart of the public school system. By 1901, the board of education decided on a plan for a new building. Sitting between South Union and Wallace Avenue, the new school renamed after Edward Tilden, former president of the Chicago Board of Education.

While serving as an all boys school after around 1919, it wouldn’t be until 1960 that the golden years of Tilden technical High School would come to an eventual end– and be converted in the co-educational neighborhood high school that we see today.

Grumpy Jenkins

Jenkins Competition Drag Racing

Known around as ‘Grumpy’ Jenkins, William Tyler Jenkins was a renowned engine builder and drag racer. During the later half of the 60s up until 1975, Jenkins racked a total of thirteen NHRA event wins in his four-speed manual transmission. While not getting a degree in mechanical engineering, the time spent at Cornell University played beneficial to his success as an engine builder. Nonetheless, Jenkins was inducted into multiple hall of fame’s for organizations across the country and is still known for his innovations to drag racing today.

Recommended size: Small | Price: $65
+ See details

1970s Militaria

The OG-107

The widely famous uniform known as the OG-107 Fatigue came standard to almost every branch of United States military when formally introduced in 1952. The casual outfitting of these pieces were made popular by the Vietnam Veterans Against the War, or VVAW, while protesting in their own issued fatigues.

This particlar shirt features great overall sun fading throughout, with lightened points along the shoulders and exposed sateen cotton. It also has a small sashiko-style repair done to a tear on the backside.

1990s Rock

Pink Floyd 'Relics'

Released to the public on May 14th of 1971, Relics, also known as A Bizarre Collection of Antiques and Curios, was a compilation album. The original artwork for the album was designed by drummer Nick Mason, which was inspired by his time studying architecture at Regent Street Polytechnic.

However, when the album was re released as a remastered CD in 1996, it featured a similar artwork style to the original sketch but modeled in a three dimensional form as seen on the t-shirt above.

Survival Gear

Palco Canteen

The Palco Canteen was first introduced around 1915 as a newly patented aluminum water canteen for the United States military and the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America. This 1950s version of Palco's ‘2 Quart-er’ canteen features the same famous aluminum molded base but with an army green khaki pouch for durable carrying. The 2 Quart-er Canteen was marketed to hold a new larger size capacity, pure aluminum composition, and adjustable strap. The uniforms of many Scouts and servicemen alike sported the canteen, and the availability to clean drinking water was essential during times of war and survival.